“One of the great problems of contemporary American society and politics is the proliferation of narrow groups and the weakening of structures that create incentives for accommodation.”
I think narrow groups have always existed in America and America has only grown more integrated with time, from the efforts of the civil rights movement of the 60s to a new call for action for gay rights in the last few years. I don’t think narrow groups are the problem. America was very segregated in the past. Look at the Amish community who cuts themselves off from “English society.” Actually this reading made me think of Rumspringa. This is where Amish teenagers have the freedom to explore the world outside of the Amish community then they must decide whether to join the Amish community and become baptized or reject the community and possibly be banned from contact with their family members or other members of the community for life. This is a situation where the cost of leaving the community is very high and its no wonder that most choose to stay with the Amish. But this is an extreme example; there is no accommodation offered in this situation, it’s all or nothing.
Would Galston admire the Amish society? He admires the small town in Portugal he visited where he saw an example of what he views is a community.
His description of Portugal made me think of Dolceacqua, a very small village in Italy, where my husband spent a lot of time growing up and where we lived for three months. It was similar to the Portuguese town; a tight knit community where there is "mutual familiarity, stable social patterns, and shared experience." My husband often expressed the idea that in Dolceacqua you can’t stay mad at people for too long because you’re going to have to see them again day after day. Anyway, Galston states that a higher percentage of young people stay in this small community compared to other small towns in western Europe. Aren’t there other factors involved than personal choice? In Docleacqua the young people don’t stay because there are no jobs. It has little to do with the strength of the community. Necessities of life like lack of food, shelter, safety and stability can tear apart even the strongest held communities.
The short article by Weeks about a mother (jokingly) threatening to kill her child explored the idea of social responsibility on the web. I agree with this quote from David C. Evans:
"the full array of human tendencies — constructive, destructive, pro-social, anti-social, conservative and risky — to be expressed in social media, as they are in any other arenas of social life."
And while in many ways I agree with Professor BJ Fogg: “Text is an impoverished medium for communicating emotion, intent, real meaning." I also believe that the issue of social responsibility on the web is not much different from the real world.
Professor BJ Fogg is quoted as stating, “people will respond to people who sound like they are in trouble — online or off. That's just normal human behavior." I could argue that people are just as likely to not respond to people who sound like they are in trouble online or off. What about the Bystander Effect? There are numerous examples of people witnessing brutal attacks, rapes and even murders and doing nothing about it. The thought is that the more people are there the more the sense of responsibility is diffused, basically everyone thinks someone else will do something about it. One of the first cases of the Bystander Effect occurred in 1964, after the good-old-days Galston mentions of social life on the stoop in Chicago in the 1950s where everyone took care of everyone else. So did the bystander effect come about because of the loss of tightly knit communities in America, I don’t know? But I don’t believe that those people who tried to intervene in the Twitter case did so because they felt responsible as a member of a community, the community of human beings perhaps but not more than that.
So does the Internet strength community? This question was left unanswered and what I decided to explore. I joined the social network http://www.iseecolor.com/ I didn’t know a lot about it and the site doesn’t really explain itself or give itself a particular mission, I liked that. It also has a lot of active members. Here’s a screenshot of the home page.

As you can see there are different ways you can communicate, you can start a thread in a group, post comments on members walls or use the chat feature. Within twenty four hours of signing up I received three wall posts that were just advertisements, this was disappointing and I received one friend request from someone I don’t know. The groups section is where I had the most fun. Here’s a screenshot of some of the most active groups

The majority of them seem to be about sex. Going through these groups was good for a laugh; people were flirty, fun and funny and didn’t take things to an uncomfortable point. The Married People Issues Group was a group where members had the chance to voice an issue or concern and get feedback from others. This would seem to be a community building exercise so I focused on this group. There were people with (it appears but you can’t be sure) real problems asking for advice. I was uncomfortable commenting because I didn’t have any advice to give. I've never been one to give advice, it's just not part of my personality. Since it was part of the assignment to interact I forced myself and made a comment on an issue not so serious. Here’s a screenshot.

In terms of whether my interacting helped to answer my question of whether Internet strengthens community, I’d say no. It was much too short of a time period. I think if I posted a question or an issue to the Married Peoples Issues Group than that would have helped. But I was really not comfortable with posting a real issue I have and then announcing it to all of you nor was I comfortable with making an issue up. The majority of the people who commented were sincere and thoughtful in their replies and I didn’t want to deceive anyone. So, I mostly lurked. Did I see a community? In some ways yes, in other ways no, depends on how you define community (not another definition question I had enough of that last session☺). I think that the people who posted their issues appreciated the comments and gained some different perspectives, they seemed to walk away happy and a little more confidant moving forward. Here’s one example of the original poster appreciative of a commenter and updating everyone on what happened regarding their issue.

People are happy and a need was met, that’s great. Like Galston says “Online groups can fulfill important emotional and utilitarian needs. But they must not be taken as comprehensive models of a future society.” Duh, people will always need face-to-face interaction, and I don’t know anyone trying to stop that. When I think about the issues of social computing that have come up in our readings, social responsibility, narcissism, surveillance and the impact of inclusion or exclusion I see parallels in the real world, I don’t think these issues are truly as unique as they may seem. More and more this quote from the Weeks article rings true to me:
"People are people both online and offline, so although social media may change how we interact with others, it's unlikely to change core human concepts of friendship and community," says David C. Evans, founder of the social media research company Psychster Inc.
"The new media for social behavior is like a new volcanic island in the ocean that is being populated by plants and animals: Although there will be a slight evolution in how things look and act, the basic form will reflect its origins."
These issues have been examined and debated by psychologists and socialists for ages; social computing gives than more to talk about and a slightly different tint but at its core the issues are the same online or offline. Perhaps a question I’d like to explore for a final project is: are these issues truly unique to the social computing environment, I’m not 100% convinced.
Like you, I feel very uncomfortable posting real questions or discussing real issues online, especially when I don’t know anyone in the community. It would be like discussing my personal problems with complete strangers. Oh wait, isn’t that what people often do in online communities? If I’m using a pseudonym and no one knows me, I shouldn’t have a problem discussing anything, even personal issues. However, if I am not vested in the community, I won’t feel comfortable discussing personal problems there, whether or not anyone knows who I am.
ReplyDeleteTrue, Galston's view is more of a warning that the Internet might steer us too far into the realm of socializing within ever narrower communities. You'll find other authors who argue just as strongly and convincingly that yes, the Internet allows us to create narrow virtual communities, but from an extremely broad base of people.
ReplyDeleteI think it makes more sense if you look at the technology rather than the philosophy. When there were only three channels on TV, you didn't have much choice, nor see much dissent. There was more shared experience, and at least the illusion of shared culture, which many people would call a strong community. If the Web world reveals existing divisions while simultaneously giving us the means to cross them, that's new. As in your last screenshot, the person posting thanks would not have gotten the same kind of needed support and instruction about how to deal with a life situation from a book or video, but directly (though virtually) from another person; that's new too. Figuring out which of these new things are unique to social computing will make a fine final project.
Previously, I did feel comfortable discussing real issues online. However,I no longer feel this way.
ReplyDeleteI agree that the issues of surveillance online are not unique to that of the real world; however, it is pretty darn scary how intense online surveillance can be. Some of the ways we are watched can be considered "innocent" e.g. when advertisers target specific advertisements to you based on your age and gender.
I always get in trouble when I log out of Myspace because there is some video asking me to join some online dating community. This advertisement always has an attractive woman smiling on video saying "don't you want to meet me". I feel that this is more than targeted advertising.
I think I would tend to agree with Galston's statement (with the reasoning as Professor Gazan commented). I admit that find myself visiting "news" sites that cater to my specific interest more so than others that do not (or even more generalized ones). For instance, I can't remember when the last time I visited the New York Times vs. some of the technology related news sites available; I find myself missing out on a lot of news that I should otherwise know about. I realize this is a somewhat weak analogue on my part, but I think it still fits (basically, I visit the sites that interest me, and are able to keep my time occupied sufficiently to the exclusion of other sites that may be out there, perhaps giving me a somewhat slanted view of the world).
ReplyDeleteRegarding your interaction, I had many the same concerns as you did (lack of expertise/willingness to give advice, not normally an "interactor"). In terms of your unanswered question, I think that lurking can be a valid approach to getting answers to it since it isn't specific to your own personal interaction. Of course, I do share your observation that the limited time frame of interaction does put somewhat of a limitation on what can be gathered.
A quick question about your "people will always need face-to-face interaction" comment, are you referring to actual physical interaction, or do things such as "virtual tele-conferencing" suffice? I guess it could be the important non-verbal cues that are key here. I've wondered why some meetings (at my former workplace) that would seemingly be adequately served by a telephone conference call on speakerphone (all they were doing was talking to one another, no presentations or anything were involved) were scheduled as video tele-conferences where they could see one another (albeit often at relatively low resolution or with the camera improperly zoomed). It's possible that it's not necessarily being able to see the cues themselves, but the just the idea in the participant's head that they're there that's important.
Your anecdote about Dolceacqua seemed slightly contradictory to me in that you mention that your husband said that it was a tight-knit community not unlike the one Galston described, yet near the end of the paragraph it sounds like young people are all moving away. Is it a sign of changing norms in small-town Western Europe? I wonder if Galston's Portugal town may be suffering the same fate.
Referring to LL-ics691's comment, I wonder when targeted advertising like Minority Report's (I think this was the movie, I'm sure there are others) retinal scanning and personalized ads that change as you walk by them will become reality. It sure looks like we're headed in that direction.
@Dave K. When I said face to face interaction I was referring to interaction in the same physical space. I wasn’t necessarily referring to physical interaction, touching, but I think people need that as well. I know I would go crazy if I only talked to people through a computer and could never touch someone or be touched. I’m not just talking about sex, although I think that’s important too.
ReplyDeleteIn terms of the contradiction you perceived, perhaps I didn’t make my point very clear. My point was that Galston doesn’t really know why young people are leaving other towns in Europe but not in the town in Portugal. He sort of hints that it is because of the close community there but I believe there are a lot of other factors involved, especially availability of jobs. In Dolceacqua there are not many jobs available so young people are forced to move away or have a long commute. It’s still a tight-knit community and many would like to stay but that is not possible for everyone due to the job situation.
Molly- Interesting points on the Amish culture and also the bystander effect.
ReplyDeleteLL-ics691 -I'm curious about what experience happened that changed your comfort level? I go to the web for information and advice a lot. Of course everything must be taken with a grain of salt, but I find that it's a great resource. Sometimes, I'm more concerned about indulging information in a face to face interaction...will this person
share our conversation with other people we know, make judgments, etc. I like the anonymity that discussion forums provide. Yeah, sometimes you get people with not so nice responses, but you never have to see or hear from them again. Not the case when it's someone you know that has the dirt on you.