Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Session 3: Answerbag

This week we were instructed to join the site Answerbag.com (AB) and challenged to fulfill at least 2 of 4 goals. I did complete two of these goals, I had a question rate over 40 points and I had another question which received 8 answers. My profile is here: http://www.answerbag.com/profile/?id=867962 I crafted the majority of my strategy to reach these goals by lurking and observing what was popular on the site. There were a few points from the readings which were influential in crafting my strategy and helped me to understand the AB community.


The article by Catherine Ridings and David Gefen found that most people “hang out” in virtual communities to seek information. Of course when reading this article I thought to myself how important the purpose of the site is to the reason why people join and participate. Ridings states that, yes, there was a difference in motivation for communities that are “centered on an individual’s freely chosen interest” versus “serious, and sometimes not so voluntary, life matters.” To understand AB and it’s purpose a little better I visited the about page. From the AB about page: “We're here to help you connect with others and to find and share knowledge about topics ranging from celebrity trivia and home cleaning tips to Russian name origins and particle physics.” I found it interesting that it says ‘share knowledge’, yes, knowledge was shared but more often than not opinion was shared. And opinion in particular I solicited to accomplish the goals set out for me. Though I should say it’s true that you can get answers on topics such as celebrity trivia, home cleaning, and particle physics. I asked questions on these topics and received helpful answers, the physics question took a little longer to get an answer but eventually it happened. Just out of curiosity, I did ask the question “Why are you on Answerbag.” Many said for fun while others mention knowledge sharing, you can see the question here: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1285003.


I was much more successful when asking opinion questions than simple straightforward questions. When I did answer a simple straightforward question no answers followed mine and I was awarded some points but not nearly 40. It seemed to me that people were on AB more for fun and laughs then to get real answers to serious questions. Given my experiences on AB I was surprised the Ridings and Gefen study found entertainment to be a relatively low motivator.




One of the readings which shed a bit of light on AB and helped in reaching the goal of a question with 8 or more answers or 40 or more points was the article “Using Social Psychology to Motivate Contributions to Online Communities.” The authors found that people will contribute more to online communities when they believe that their contributions will be unique. I tried to ask questions that could receive unique answers as well as give respondents an opportunity to express their individuality and personality.



Also interesting from this reading was the finding that: “individuals contributed when… they were given specific and challenging goals.” The use of levels and rank in AB capitalizes on this finding in a way. The more points you get the higher the level you are placed and your level and rank is there for everyone to see. (This also goes along with Proposition 6 and 7 from the Tedjalmulia article-

6-As group identity within a community increases, participation and contributions will increase. And

7-The more visible a person’s actions are to other community members, the more he or she will contribute and participate.)



I did not pay much attention to my level but I can see how some people can become obsessed. AB places a concrete and challenging goal in front of you by having different levels. I believe this use of levels and rank encourages people to keep coming back and contributing.



The article by Tedjalmulia and others discusses feedback and its positive effect on contributions. I tried to use this idea to help reach my goals but my results were mixed. AB allows feedback in the form of points as well as comments. I gave points away relatively freely as I hoped people would do the same for me. I also commented often on answers to my questions. I was hoping that this would help me gain points and get more answers. This was not always the case. In one particular instance I think my comments may have led the inflow of answers to come to a screeching halt. I had gotten a lot of responses, 11, quickly and I decided to thank everyone. Once I did this I did not receive any more answers. I can only speculate as to why and it may be coincidence but perhaps people who may have answered saw that I had commented and assumed I had received what I wanted and the topic was over. In some instances it seemed comments got me more points but I can’t be sure.



The paper by Schrock was interesting but not specifically helpful in reaching my goals on AB. Most of the findings described, including these:

"Extroversion and self–disclosure were positively correlated with the many–to–many and one–to–one clusters, and self–disclosure was correlated only with the many–to–many cluster. MySpace users were specifically more likely to be users of one–to–one as well as many–to–many technology clusters."

I did not find surprising. What was surprising was the gender differences found in the study. I guess I, and I believe others, still see the internet as dominated by white males.



A few of my own insights into AB:

There is a community there. There are a number of people who are what you could call heavy users. I found one comment thread that seemed to involve some of these heavy users. It is here: http://www.answerbag.com/a_view/5452121 I don’t know what they are talking about but they seem to have some familiarity with each other, I’m sure they see the same people over and over again.



I think a questioner’s level and ranking make a difference in the number of answers. I tried to mirror other questions that had received a lot of answers and points but I was not as highly successful. I also found an example of the same question asked with very different results. The question was: do you want to know the exact time of your death. Someone of high rank asked on Sept 26, 2006 (http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/77598); now I don’t know what their level was exactly at the time but looking at their points history it was sizable. Their question received 118 answers and got 43 points. Now someone else asked a similar question, “Would you want to know the date of your death, and how it happened?” (http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/603775) This was asked by someone at level 1 on Feb 17, 2008. It received 19 answers and 14 points. Perhaps people need to pay their dues and become more recognizable and trustworthy to gain the most responses and points.



While I am not likely to visit AB again, this was a fun exercise and helpful to gain an understanding of the motivations of people joining and contributing to online communities. These insights can be useful in my future professional life as a librarian.


Update Wednesday 2/18: This morning I had this message in my inbox "Good news, we have an answer to your question." No, not good news, not for me at least. A question I got 49 points on was rejected as a duplicate. Arggg. I understand why AB does this, the questions are always open, and this sets them apart from Yahoo Answers. (which was started after AB) Also, I'd like to note that I did not realize at the time that duplicate questions were rejected, I was not attempting to be unique only to get answers and points. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned I still accomplished this goal, I mean I had over 40 points as of 11:59 HST Sunday Feb. 15, ;).

11 comments:

  1. Hi Molly,
    Nice insights. I've also noticed that sense of community happening in the comment section of one of my questions. No relation to the original question, and full of inside jokes. I suppose that a path leading to success in AB is to make it into one of these "communities." Seems like Mike has sparked the start of an ICS691 community in AB. Check out his blog to see what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly,

    Good write up. I am glad you were able to make your goals. I think alot of us came to the conclusion that AB has more entertainment then serious question answering. I was curious what happened to duplicate questions. I looked for answers to my questions prior to asking them, just to avoid duplicates. I felt they are not likely to get as many comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You commented on the fact that online communities are based on either general interests or information needs. AB seems to mesh the two. I noticed that with AB, users seemed to seek out information about life struggles and concerns, as well as use the site for entertainment purposes. Perhaps the reason the site is so successful is that users are able to express their interests while also getting information. People are encouraged to give their own opinions to serious questions, which ups their level of interest in the outcome of the post. It seems that the key is to focus the posts on "you," and users will feel the need to contribute.

    My experience with AB was largely the same. Interesting insight into the user level and the amount of answers/ratings. I think it has a lot to do with community and exposure. Because you can trace the profiles and the questions asked, it seems like people who are more visible would get more questions answered.

    Why not go back to AB? You would never use it for personal information gain?

    ReplyDelete
  4. First congrats on completing the assignment- a feat that not many were able to accomplish.

    I would definitely agree with Carrie about the site serving a dual purpose of entertainment and also of information seeking. Whatever people are looking to find on here they generally can. Granted it is usually more opinion than anything else but you can still use it for either purpose.

    How very interesting that there is a cult of COAT members that hang out in unsuspecting places. I realize that Answerbag was not originally formed for that purpose but it seems that a group of users has made it into a social arena rather than just a question/answer site. It seems to solidify my notion that you have to be a part of the "in-crowd" in order gather lots of points from your "friends." It really is the members of a community that shape the direction of the forum or OC into what it becomes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie- Thanks for commenting, to answer your question I would not go to AB for my information needs because, to me, it is not a reliable, trustworthy source of information. If I need an answer to a question usually the first thing I do is an internet search. Most likely I will find the answer quickly. In fact, the couple straightforward fact questions I answered on AB I simply did a google search and there it was. I would also be more likely to search the UH library, ask a friend or solicit the help of an expert.

    Also: Where did I comment on "the fact that online communities are based on either general interests or information needs." I don't think I said this, and if I did I need to change my post:).

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is certainly a level of entertainment in AB that isn't as thoroughly discussed in the readings, but I'd say it falls under the "opinions" umbrella. Straightforward questions are likely to receive straightforward answers, but the opinion questions are the ones that spark conversation, and entertainment. In my experience with AB, I felt I needed to take a step further than just ask an opinion question, but something where I had to take a side or ask a more loaded question.

    Interesting that you saw your thank you responses as stopping people from answering... I didn't post any thank you's, but most my comments were actually trying to solicit additional conversation out of people (although it didn't succeed). Still, I hadn't considered what the potential "conversation stoppers" could be in a forum.

    I also noticed the similarity of questions and how they would get noticeably different amounts of answers or comments. I looked into a few thinking I might be able to get some idea on how one person sustained a longer "conversation" while another asking the same couldn't. But in the end, I couldn't really find anything, even while looking at it with ideas from the readings in my mind. I suppose one could chalk it up to bad timing?

    Doh! on your question being rejected :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that you were able to meet your goal.

    I think I will continue to use AB to get my questions answered. I was provided with some interesting sources to a question that I asked.

    I also did a google search to some of the questions I asked. Instead of having to wait hours for a response, I was able to get one within 2.4 seconds. I am not too sure how efficient and/or reliable answerbag is. I know I got some very slanted responses, as well as responses that were unreliable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought that the possibility of duplicate questions was one of the weaknesses of answerbag. It appears as though someone is monitoring and filtering new questions. It is odd that you pointed out a pair of identical questions that didn't get caught. Maybe there's questions are considered unique when asked at different periods in time?

    You pointed out the one of the reading's points:
    "7-The more visible a person’s actions are to other community members, the more he or she will contribute and participate.)"

    Because there's a competitive element for points on answerbag, I wonder if this creates an environment where a few users dominate question and answer threads on the site because higher level users seem to garner more attention.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, all the comments to your Blog made me just think about how people can feel a sense of self-actualization (a great psychological need) by being able to answer a question and be valued (ratings and such) by doing so. AB is the letters to the editor, the popular girl, the trend magazine of the online world. When I read the letters to the editor, one of my more favorite things to do when I'm not doing homework, I do so to find out what other people are thinking about current events. If I am moved enough by what's going on in the community, I write a respond too.

    What's interesting to me is that AB has a wider audience whose location are not necessarily local. So, both my questions were local, and those who do not have experience in Hawaii would more than likely ignore my question because they would have nothing to offer me. Many of our classmates said that they asked more general questions that could be answerable by anyone.

    Thanks for the insight. (Imagine: light switch on).

    ReplyDelete
  10. In retrospect, I could have posted more opinion questions. For the most part, I focused on simple straightforward questions like “what/who/where is your favorite---?” In my experiences on AB, I found it a lot easier to receive more than 8 answers to this type of question than to score more than 40 points. I agree with you that rankings and ratings are one driving force behind active participation and content contributions on AB. In my blog, I also talked about how this competitive setting encourages participation and interactions. On a different note, I also had some of my questions rejected and lost a good portion of my points...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with you that most AB users participate for fun. It was more difficult to get responses when I asked an academic question, What is the world’s least populated country? than a practical one like, How much do you tip for a Pizza Delivery?

    I think people become obsessed with achieving higher rank because they like to feel that they contribute to the site much more than other users. I understand for some people, being known to other users is important.

    ReplyDelete